Amy, Jason, Sophie, and Matthew's Web Page

Welcome! We hope that this page will help keep us connected with our family and friends around the world.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Tbilisi Tales - Lost in Translation

Occasional Tales from our Life in the Republic of Georgia

In Georgia it is possible to buy a detergent called Barf. The box boasts that "Barf with its cleaning power washes dishes, tiles & bath accessories." Consumers are encouraged to "use Barf with its rich suds for washing silk clothes, cottons, nylons and wools." So you see, you can use Barf to wash both your fine washables and your toilet. That's a good value! However, the box does carry a warning: "Don't use Barf to wash hands, face, body, or food materials."

5 Comments:

  • At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pretty funny story - but why do they call it "Barf" and yet all the writing on the box is in English? Is it made by an American company?

    The Husbands

     
  • At 6:48 AM, Blogger Jason, Amy, Sophie, and Matthew said…

    That's what we want to know! In very small writing on the box it says "Barf means snow." In what language?!!

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger Michael, Jessica, Jacob & Olivia Catanzaro said…

    I was so intrigued by Barf that I had to do some research for you. Turns out Barf is a Persian word and it does mean snow. Why the box is in English I don't know but I did find the Persian brand online!

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Catanzaros,

    Interesting information that you came up with. I work with a sweet Persian girl who is on vacation - I can hardly wait to show her the picture and find out what her comments are.

    Thanks for the postscript.

    The Husbands

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Michael, Jessica, Jacob & Olivia Catanzaro said…

    Dear Husbands,
    Once you talk to your Persian friend you must let me know what she has to say about Barf! I've told this story to many people and we can't stop laughing.
    The Catanzaros

     

Post a Comment

<< Home